Monday, July 30, 2012

weekend breakfast





The weekend is over and Monday is already in full swing. You might think I'm crazy but I'm actually a fan of Mondays! I like the routine of weekdays. Don't get me wrong.... I love a good weekend, but I'm not sad when Monday rolls back around. 

We had a relaxing, uneventful weekend. We slept in, watched tv and not much else. I was busy with a few projects but that's nothing new (notice the new buttons on the left?). I also got to spend some time in the kitchen! My favorite!

While trying to decide what to make for breakfast Saturday morning we realized that we had enough ingredients for omelets. I don't have much experience with omelet making but I was ready for the challenge.

I started by preparing my filling. We had onion, green bell pepper, ham, potato, and cheddar cheese.

First I cut the potato into small pieces, fried them, drained them, and set them aside.

Then I cut the onion and bell pepper into chunks and cooked them over medium heat until softened. I added the ham to warm it up. When that was done I set in aside in a bowl.

While I was doing this Nate was shredding the cheese. It's so much cheaper to do it yourself you know!

Then Nate whisked three eggs for me and I poured them into a hot skillet for the base of the omelet. I swirled the pan around to make sure I got a nice even disk of egg. When the eggs were mostly cooked I sprinkled it with cheese and added the potato, onion, pepper and ham.

Then came the tricky part. Folding it in half! First I ran a spatula around the egg so it was loose in the pan. Then I used the spatula to lift one half and drop it down on the other, holding my breath the whole time. Once it was folded I slid the omelet out on a baking sheet and topped it with some of the leftover filling and cheese. I popped it into a 200 degree oven to keep it warm while I made the next one.

I had a bit more trouble with the next omelet. The fold wasn't as nice as the first one and it fell apart a little when I took it out of the pan. Oh well. When you're not trying to impress it's alright to make a bit of a mess.

Yum yum yum! Delicious with sour cream and a cup of coffee.











I only got pictures of the perfect one because by the time I got my camera ready... the broken one was already being eaten! But thats okay. I didn't need photographic evidence of my mistake, hehehe.

How was your weekend??

No comments:

Post a Comment